Sunday, May 15, 2011

Keepin it FUNKY FRESHHHHH....

It all started last summer when my friend, Latice and I dropped in for a few hip hop classes at Howard School of Dance. There I met the fabulous KellyD.

Because of crazy summer scheduling and such, I only got to go to a few classes but I definitely loved getting to pick up some new hip hop skillzzzz haha. Jump ahead to October... I got the heads up that one Sunday a few different hip hop choreographers were doing a workshop in Dayton, and although no one was able to go with me, I didn't want to miss the chance to work with and learn from some new people.

Afterwards, KellyD. introduced me to her friend, and one of the choreographers from the day, Tonika.
From having seen me dance that day, she let me know how her and Kelly run a crew, FUSION, and asked if I'd like to dance with them. Um... hello, Yes!

So fast forward to this spring. With May 13th performances scheduled at Urban Nights in Dayton and the hip hop showcase in Centerville, we got together a couple times and prepped 2 routines for the day's events.

First off in the afternoon, we went to downtown Dayton at Riverscape to dance as part of the Urban Nights event, a celebration of all things arts. There we performed a routine we so lovingly call "Funky Fresh," as one of the songs in the mix shares the name.

From there we ran over to Tower Heights Middle School in Centerville where we joined other students from Howard, and other hip hop crews from the area for the 3rd annual Hip Hop Showcase. There, we performed a routine to the Black Eyed Peas "Just Can't Get Enough" and Katy Perry's "E.T." Check it...




To finish off the night, Fusion Crew did a cipher with some additional TWS crew members.






Overall, it was a super fun day. Great dancing and new friends... always a stellar combo.

No comments:

Post a Comment