Monday, January 31, 2011

My Take on the Globes that are Golden... (PART II)

Drum roll please... time for awards recap!

Let's chat TV first.
Although I usually pride myself on the wide array of shows I take in, I found myself while making my predictions, far more informed in the comedy genre. For a majority of drama, I ended up being persuaded by the buzz I gathered from my various sources :-)


For best drama series, I had my money (figuratively, of course) on . I mean, a period drama with Jackie O. style, skinny ties, and Jon Hamm? Yes, Please. Although I don't follow it, it is one on my "I-can't-believe-I'm watching" list. Unfortunately, although a well-hyped show with impeccable fabulous-lness it lost to Excuse me, what?? Who are you? Well, it does apparently boast Steve Buscemi. I doubt his performance can top the rifle-touting, childhood bullied, lip stick-wearing crazy face he portrayed in Billy Madison, but I assume HBO has some differing audience targets.

As you can guess from my previous expression of affection for Jon Hamm, I was rooting for him over the snarky, wrinkly faced Buscemi for Best Actor, Drama. FAIL. Buscemi in for the win.

Thanks to what I've been readin' up on (yay magazine reading at work), I was ready to hear Julianna Marguiles' name read for choice drama actress for "The Good Wife," but I wasn't upset at all to see the always entertaining Katey Segal take the globe for "Sons of Anarchy." I mean, this girl has been working it since the days of "Married with Children" when she chomped on gum rocking leopard tights and heels. It was a big deal then, not like now when every 12 year old who walks out Charlotte Russe dons the aforementioned ensemble.

No huge upsets in the comedy category I'd say, although I did have my heart set on some of the... non-winners.
In the big category it was gonna be hard to disappoint me since I LOVVEEEE
, , and like WOAH. When the latter won though, it was a lot of fun to the see the entire cast and crew engulf the stage... including little Lauren Potter who plays "Becky." A.dorable.

Breaking it down, Best Actor and Actress trophies went to "The Big Bang Theory's" Jim Parsons and "The Big C's" Laura Linney, respectively. Just a sidenote that MUST be stated...Uh. Tina Fey, my love, you are GENIUS. You should win everything. EVER. end sidenote.

"Glee" kept a dominating grabbing BOTH supporting role honors in Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch. One of my favorite moments of the night? Colfer's genuine surprise and honor in receiving the award. It's a must see.
Not a must see? Lea Michelle bawling 90% of the night... ugh. Please groan with me at her at the :50 mark. YOU DIDN'T WIN! Stop the antics for camera time... go home, put on your footie pajamas, your headgear, and sing some Streisand.

Now onto the BIG SCREEN:
As expected, there were a few names that we heard bounce off of envelopes multiple times.
took the big prize in drama, and also boasted a Best Director win in David Fincher. The much-talked about missed out on Best Drama, but Natalie Portman grabbed Best Actress. Her dress was a lil awkward for me, but not as much as her acceptance speech laugh.
The impeccable Colin Firth took the top drama actor for
and I must say, well deserved. I never really understood the big deal with the Firth-hype until seeing this movie, but he gave a stellar performance! And if the movie at first glance doesn't seem like your cup of tea (tehe) get over your strickly-shallow-Sandler-movie-seeing-self and CHECK OUT THIS FLICK! Historically accurate for ya "reality" lovers, yet knee-slapping funny moments as well. DO IT. Peer pressure.

Best Picture Comedy went to
... which after watching it, I'm trying to figure out what makes it a comedy, but whatev, it was good. Awkward at times, but good. Also from "TKAA," the timeless Annette Benning took "comedy-eqsue" actress, and the zany Paul Giamatti won over the Globe voters in . Again, what is that? Where did it come from? Whatevs, congrats crazy man.

"rounded" things out winning the supporting titles in Christian Bale and Melissa Leo. I've yet to catch "The Fighter," but I heard both of those performances were pretty fabulous, especially post-newsie Bale. I'm a fan of him in any way, shape, or form... so this is at the top of my list.

Oh... and top animated film was
... duh, right? I mean, watching this movie this summer was like reliving AND waving goodbye to my childhood at the same time while pathetically crying my EYES out! It was similar to a funeral... it provided closure, while it was something you didn't wanna see go... EVER! For reals, don't laugh... the next time I was at my parent's houses I grabbed some of my toys, brought them back to my place and my friend, Paul and I had a playdate and watched Disney movies. It was stellar.

That's the 2011 Globe highlights my friends. Any commentary? Surprises? Upsets?

Be looking out for the big game... THE OSCARS coming soon!!



No comments:

Post a Comment